While direct taxes are levied on taxable income earned by individuals and corporations, assessees are responsible for deposit taxes. Indirect taxes, on the other hand, are charged on the sale and provision of goods and services, and the cost of collecting and depositing taxes falls on the sellers rather than the assessees directly. Moreover, The Indian taxation system is divided into two parts: the central government and the state governments. Local governments, such as the Municipality and the Local Governments, levy some modest taxes. Tax Help Desk is your complete post to all goods and services tax and income tax filing online services.
ROLES OF TAX ADMINISTRATION IN INDIA
In recent years, the federal government and many state governments have implemented a variety of policy reforms and process simplifications aimed at increasing predictability, fairness, and automation. As a result, India’s spectacular leap to the top 100 in the World Bank’s Ease of Doing Business (EoDB) ranking in 2019 has resulted in a 79-position surge in the ‘World Bank’s Ease of Doing Business Ranking 2020’ from 142nd (2014) to 63rd (2019). The Goods and Services Tax (GST) reform is one example of a change to simplify India’s complex multiple indirect tax frameworks.
Verification of a tax return or claim for credit, rebate, or refund; investigation, assessment, determination, litigation, or collection of a person’s tax liability; investigation or prosecution of a tax-related crime; or enforcement of a tax act is all examples of tax administration.
Because tax plays such a significant role in the response to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, the OECD has proposed a range of tax measures that governments could use to mitigate the economic consequences of the crisis, as well as compiled a list of all tax actions adopted thus far.
List of All Tax Actions
- Everything has to do with the imposition and collection of direct taxes.
- Everything has to do with the levy and collection of indirect taxes.
- Economic crimes are investigated and economic rules are enforced.
- Policy formulation for opium cultivation, export, and price fixation, among other things.
- Preventing and countering the abuse of narcotics and psychotropic chemicals, as well as criminal trafficking in these substances.
- FEMA’s enforcement and COFEPOSA’s recommendation of detention.
- Work for the Smugglers and Foreign Exchange Manipulators (Forfeiture of Property) Act of 1976 and the Narcotics Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act of 1985.
- Taxes levied on sales made during interstate trade or commerce.
- Matters connected to the Indian Stamp Act, 1899, and the consolidation, reduction, or exemption from payment of stamp duty.
- Gold Control’s residual work
- CESTAT-related matters.
- IRS (Group-A) and IRS (C&CE) Cadre Control (Group-A).
In July 2002, the Forum on Tax Administration (FTA) was formed to provide a global solution to tax administration concerns. It also is the best income tax filing online service. The goal of the FTA is to change the climate in which tax systems operate, moving away from combative discourse and toward more positive involvement with taxpayers. It brings together Commissioners from 53 OECD and non-OECD countries to share information and expertise, as well as to develop international best practices for dealing with specific administrative difficulties.